STORIFY - BUILD YOUR ONLINE LEARNING CONTENT IN NO TIME!

In no time? Well, that's exaggeration...but really, there are so many tools now available to educators to do useful things with very little learning curve. Currently there are several web-based tools that allow anyone to build any topic of interest -- Scoop.it!, Pinterest, etc. These tools can be use for aggregating or curating content. The new kids-on-the block are Edcanvas & Storify.

I particularly like Storify. It's so easy to use -- no brainer! Storify has two parts -- the blank canvas on the left hand side and the search tools on the right hand side. There is Google search to search the web, You Tube, Flickr, or other social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud, etc. Basically you start with a blank canvas. Just search using the various built-in search tools, pick the relevant item, and drag it to the main area on the left. As its name implies, Storify allows you to build a 'story', basically a compilation of articles from the huge internet repository and arrange them in a logical sequence to make up...a story.

As I was exploring Storify, I begin to realize the huge potential of this tool for teaching & learning. Also, if you are seriously into content curation, this is one tool, amongst the crowd out there that I would highly recommend you to explore. I can't say more here but to illustrate perhaps I can share with you my Storify for your perusal.

The first one is one of the actual topic in the course I'll be teaching next coming semester (start in September). Here I aggregate the content from various sources, including my own, and arrange them in a logical sequence. Then, you will notice that in between the content I inserted an activity or task for the reader (in this case, mainly for my students). You can build the content as a modular unit, perhaps equivalent to 1 hour lecture or one specific part in a big topic. The activity/task can be arranged in such a way to follow certain pedagogical model, such as Gagne's 9 Events of Instruction. You can use this as a platform for the Flipped Classroom -- i.e., you can ask the students to read the material prior to the lecture but do the activity together in the classroom.

Here's sharing...
Notice that in my Weebly website I embed all the relevant stories (topics) that make up the whole course.

I hope my sharing here will give you some idea if you want to implement this for your course, or simply sharing with the public at large.

Your feedback is appreciated and most welcome!

Comments